Gaspard Graulich sees himself as a designer-explorer.
Born in Reunion Island in 1983, he studied industrial design in Paris, a conceptual approach of design in Reims, and had a specialisation in sustainable design in Besançon.
But it’s more his roamings through the African, Australian and north American deserts that shaped him, along with the profound connection to nature and landscape he cultivated during his childhood in a tropical volcanic island.
From a quest for understanding that drove him from the age of 2 to dissemble everything he could lay his hands on, he has become a designer obsessed by object, its meanings, its functions, its purposes, its interactions.
His work is an exploration about interactions between human and matter, in which lays the origin of object according to him, where ethnology and philosophy merge with technics, history and prehistory, …
This both functional and conceptual approach take shape in various ways : writings, photographs, made-to-order pieces, experimental research, creations for editors, or small series pieces that he implements in his troglodyte workshop.
Past exhibitions :
– « Crossovers » by Adorno. London Design Festival. Curator : François Leblanc. September 2019. London
– Private Choice. Curator : Nadia Candet. April 2019. Paris
– Collectible. March 2019. Brussels
– « Interstices », Biennale Emergence. Curator : Earlwyn Covington. Octobre 2019. Pantin (fr)
– Gallery ROOM, Paris Design Week, September 2016. Paris
– La Rotonde Stalingrad, Paris Design Week. September 2016. Paris
– Galerie Joseph, Paris Design Week. September 2015. Paris
– Artifact #B, Biennale Internationale Design St Etienne. 2015. Saint Etienne (fr)
– Now!le off. 2013. Paris
– Artifact, Biennale Internationale Design St Etienne. 2013. Saint Etienne (fr)
– Meet My Project, Lieu du Design. 2012. Paris